Does your skin need a Serum?
If you're not sure what a serum is, you are not alone! It can be confusing to work out exactly what they are for, and why you need them. You're already using a cleanser and a moisturiser, maybe even a toner as well, do you really need to add another element to the routine? We've done our research so that you don't have to! Read on to find out why you should use one, and how to pick the best serum for your skin.
Unlike a moisturiser, serums have a lipid-soluble base which allows the active ingredients to penetrate into the epidermis instead of lying on the surface. Serums are particularly suited to this task because they are made up of smaller molecules that can penetrate deeply into the skin and deliver a very high concentration of active ingredients. This makes them perfect for targeting specific concerns like wrinkles, brightness, acne or hydration.
It’s because of this ability to soak into your skin, paired with the fact that they contain concentrated doses of effective ingredients, that serums can often be more expensive than regular skincare, but if it’s results you’re after, this isn’t a step you’re going to want to skip. Check your ingredients and pair them with your skin type for the best results.
Acne-prone: Look for vitamin C (increases collagen production, enhances skin’s repair process, and reduces inflammation), retinol (also an antioxidant, reduces inflammation), zinc (soothes irritation, regulates oil production), and salicylic acid (unclogs pores).
Dry: Look for vitamin E (an antioxidant, protects cells from oxidative damage), niacinamide (improves skin elasticity, increases ceramide levels in skin), glycolic acid (gently exfoliates and lightens discoloration), and hyaluronic acid (retains moisture).
Feeling dull: Look for antioxidants like green tea extract, resveratrol, ferulic acid (these combat free radicals, increase effectiveness of sunscreen by day, and promote cellular repair and healing by night).
Serums slot neatly into the skincare routine, which should resemble something similar to this: Cleanser -> Toner -> Serum -> Moisturiser
Our Replenish Elixir:
- with Marine extract from seaweed
- Stimulates and protects collagen and elastin (contains omega 3, 6 and 9)
- Stimulates Hyaluronic Acid synthesis and encourages cell energy
- Strong firming effect by maintaining cutaneous inter-cellular communication.
- Anti-oxidant and free radical scavenger (ORAC test) providing global protection
- Strong anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effect
- Reinforces the hydrolipidic barrier and provides in-depth moisturisation
- Sea buckthorn (CO2 extracted and certified organic for maximum potency)
- Known as the “beauty berry” with a high nutrient content that makes this a potent antioxidant with rejuvenating qualities. Gives a youthful and more vibrant glow to our skin.
- It also contains Omega 7 – a key building block to healthy skin, restoring youthful resilience and plumpness.
- Precious and Exotic Essential oils of Frankincense, Rose Otto, Everlasting, Australian Sandalwood, Patchouli, Australian Fragonia, Spikenard, and Cedarwood
- Helps restore a deep sense of harmony with a myriad of benefits to regenerate skin’s appearance and transform your state of being
- With palmitoleic acid to mimic skin’s natural lipids
- Antioxidants protect against signs of oxidative stress and make skin feel younger and smoother.
- Vitamin C enriched Kakadu Plum extract and Bergamot energise and revitalise the complexion, leaving it visibly softer, more supple and luminous.
- An optimal concentration of actives lighten and brighten the appearance of the skin. Evens out the appearance of age spots and dark pigmentation.
- May result in effective wrinkle reduction and significant freckle and skin lightening in Asian, Hispanic, African American and Caucasian skin types according to human clinical trials.