How I Saved My Travel Skin With Synthesis
Resident writer Maggie Kelly recently jetted off on a whirlwind eight-day stay in London; and with a super-sensitive complexion, was worried about the fallout on her skin. Here's how she kept her cool in the cold with Synthesis Organics.
I love to travel. Whether it is for work or for pleasure, nothing excites me more than the prospect of experiencing a new country, culture, and adventure. From Japan to the USA, England to Spain, France to Africa, I count my globetrotting days as some of my most memorable.
What I don't consider so memorable, however, is the state of my skin whilst travelling. Sensitive at the best of times, difficult at the worst; my skin is notorious for playing up whilst away. Long-haul flights leave it dry, changing temperatures give me breakouts, and overzealous heating causes eczema and redness.
In Oxford, in 3 degrees, with very happy skin. It's a miracle! Not any more! A firm convert to the Synthesis skincare range, I have experienced a very real shift in my skin's response to travelling.
On my recent whirlwind trip to London for my sister's 30th birthday, I was looking at TWO 23-hour flights in the space of a week, plus the UK's notorious heating, and the bitter cold outside. And yet, thanks to Synthesis, I made it through with not a blemish to be seen!
Stick to routine. How did I manage to keep my cranky complexion happy? The key was sticking to my normal routine, and not introducing any new products - as many of us often do when packing 'travel size' products on our trips. Even whilst on the flight, I made sure I got up every 8 hours to cleanse and moisturise my face as I would morning and night. Seriously, if you bring one thing on a long-haul flight - make it this super product, Hydrate Spray.
Here's what I used. My skin is a classic 'dry' type: whilst I don't suffer from an oily T-section, I am unlucky enough to have skin that is always thirsty. Dry skin + planes + cold UK weather + heating = ouch! I beat the Sahara skin by using the Synthesis SOOTHE range:
- Soothe Cleansing Oil: I massage this onto a dry face morning and night to lift make-up and grime without stripping my skin of its (very limited!) moisture.
- Soothe Creme: My daily go-to moisturiser. It's light and cool and protects me from the harsh conditions.
- Soothe Face + Body Oil: Um, this stuff is magic. With calming chamomile as the main ingredient, I use this at night for a richer, deeper formula - and during the day, dab it onto dry and red areas, such as around my nose.
Travel essentials: a good book, headphones, passport, and Synthesis Organics products.
...With a few more tricks! With the Soothe range as my base, I then added on a couple of key products:
- Brighten Vitamin C Serum: I pop this on under my moisturiser each day for a little extra nourishment for a total skin glow.
- Hydrate Spray: my international flight MUST HAVE - I spritz around my face to counter the dry conditions.
- Love Essential Oil: because I don't like to pack my clunky (and expensive!) perfumes into my luggage, I love using the Synthesis essential oil mixes. I dab it onto my jumper, and even run a drop through my hair, for a beautiful scent.
PS. Click on any of the product names above, and they will take you straight to the website where you can buy, too! xx
How to brighten up dreary London 101: sunny accessories, an underground adventure, and LOVE essential oil!
Goodbye, travel skin! After a great trip in the freezing UK, I am now back to hot and humid Sydney, and my skin hasn't noticed a thing. Here are my final top tips to maintaining clear and happy skin whilst travelling:
Be prepared: don't chop and change products...your skin WILL freak out.
Stick to a routine: every morning tonight, take the time to cleanse and moisturise. Wherever you are.
Keep up the moisture: changing temperatures dramatically, or sitting on a plane for long periods of time, WILL dry out your skin. Keep it nourished.
Happy travels! xx Maggie