Aromatherapy - How to use
Vapourise – Add 3-5 drops of essential oil to water in your favorite diffuser and gently warm. Allow the therapeutic aroma to fill the atmosphere around you.
Quick fix – A few deep inhalations directly from the bottle can help when you are at work, in the car, or anytime you need a quick break.
Bathing – Add up to 6 drops of essential oil to the hot bath water, agitate the surface and then immerse and enjoy.
Shower – Cover the drain in your shower with a face cloth, dispense 5 drops of essential oil onto the shower basin and shower as normal, breathing in the steam to be energised.
Spritz – Add 10 drops of essential oil to 100ml of water in a spray bottle. Shake before each use. Mist your face and body with your eyes closed. Enjoy the sensation. Also great as a room spray.
Compress – Dilute 3-6 drops of essential oil in carrier oil then add to 200ml of warm water in a bowl. Soak a face cloth, then press gently onto the face, inhaling the aroma.
Steam Treatment – Add 2 drops of essential oil to a bowl of steaming hot water. Place your face approx 20-30cm away from the bowl and cover the back of your head and bowl with a towel to trap the aromatic vapours. Breathe deeply. Caution: Keep your eyes closed/covered, and be aware of the risk of burns or scalding during treatment.
- Massage / Moisturiser - Blend into your unscented Synthesis Face & Body Oil or Vegan Moisturiser as needed.
- Body massage – We recommend 4 drops of essential oil per 20ml of massage oil. This will give you a 1% dilution, particularly suitable for an all-over body massage*. Massage into freshly cleansed skin, using long soothing strokes, until absorbed.
- Facial massage – We recommend 1 drop of essential oil per 5ml of massage oil. Massage into freshly cleansed face, neck and decolletage, using long soothing strokes, until absorbed.
*halve dose for children, and halve again for infants and when pregnant.
Create your own personalised essential oil blend
Consider the benefit you would like to enjoy, or you can create an intuitive blend by closing your eyes and smelling each oil individually to feel which your body responds to. It is recommended to choose just 3 oils.
Add 1 drop at a time of each oil, take a moment to smell the blend, then keep adding drop by drop to get the combination you like.
Put a cap on the bottle and shake gently to blend. (It’s a good idea to write down the recipe).
Use your personalised essential oil blend in any of the methods described.
Special Care with Essential Oils
- For topical or aromatic use.
- Store out of direct sunlight in a cool place.
- Avoid contact with eyes and other sensitive areas.
- Observe appropriate dosage variations.
- Do a patch test if suspected allergies are present.
- Keep out of the reach of children – to be administered by adults.
- Phototoxic essential oils* are not to be used in the presence of UV light, natural sunlight or sun beds, or for at least 4 hours afterwards. *Lemon (cold pressed), Lime (cold pressed), Grapefruit (cold pressed).
- If pregnant or nursing, taking medication or if you have a medical condition, consult your health practitioner before use.
- During pregnancy, the following are not recommended for topical use – Basil, Clary Sage, Marjoram, Peppermint, or Rosemary.
- For use with babies and children, consult your health practitioner before use.
- People with high blood pressure or epilepsy, consult your health professional before using Peppermint or Rosemary.
- People with low blood pressure or depression should avoid Marjoram.