Resident writer Maggie Kelly recently jetted off on a whirlwind eight-day stay in London; and with a super-sensitive complexion, was worried about the fallout on her skin. Here’s how she kept her cool in the cold with Synthesis Organics.
I love to travel
Whether it is for work or for pleasure, nothing excites me more than the prospect of experiencing a new country, culture, and adventure. From Japan to the USA, England to Spain, France to Africa, I count my globetrotting days as some of my most memorable. What I don’t consider so memorable, however, is the state of my skin whilst travelling.
Sensitive at the best of times, difficult at the worst; my skin is notorious for playing up whilst away. Long-haul flights leave it dry, changing temperatures give me breakouts, and overzealous heating causes eczema and redness.
Not any more!
A firm convert to the Synthesis skincare range, I have experienced a very real shift in my skin’s response to travelling. On my recent whirlwind trip to London for my sister’s 30th birthday, I was looking at TWO 23-hour flights in the space of a week, plus the UK’s notorious heating, and the bitter cold outside. And yet, thanks to Synthesis, I made it through with not a blemish to be seen!
Stick to routine.
How did I manage to keep my cranky complexion happy? The key was sticking to my normal routine, and not introducing any new products – as many of us often do when packing ‘travel size’ products on our trips. Even whilst on the flight, I made sure I got up every 8 hours to cleanse and moisturise my face as I would morning and night.
Here’s what I used
My skin is a classic ‘dry’ type: whilst I don’t suffer from an oily T-section, I am unlucky enough to have skin that is always thirsty. Dry skin + planes + cold UK weather + heating = ouch! I beat the Sahara skin by using the Synthesis SOOTHE range:
- Soothe Cleansing Oil: I massage this onto a dry face morning and night to lift make-up and grime without stripping my skin of its (very limited!) moisture.
- Soothe Creme: My daily go-to moisturiser. It’s light and cool and protects me from the harsh conditions.
- Soothe Face + Body Oil: Um, this stuff is magic. With calming chamomile as the main ingredient, I use this at night for a richer, deeper formula – and during the day, dab it onto dry and red areas, such as around my nose.
…With a few more tricks!
With the Soothe range as my base, I then added on a couple of key products:
- Brighten Vitamin C Serum: I pop this on under my moisturiser each day for a little extra nourishment for a total skin glow.
- Hydrate Spray: my international flight MUST HAVE – I spritz around my face to counter the dry conditions.
- Love Essential Oil: because I don’t like to pack my clunky (and expensive!) perfumes into my luggage, I love using the Synthesis essential oil mixes. I dab it onto my jumper, and even run a drop through my hair, for a beautiful scent.
PS. Click on any of the product names above, and they will take you straight to the website where you can buy, too! xx
Goodbye, travel skin!
After a great trip in the freezing UK, I am now back to hot and humid Sydney, and my skin hasn’t noticed a thing. Here are my final top tips to maintaining clear and happy skin whilst travelling:
- Be prepared: don’t chop and change products…your skin WILL freak out.
- Stick to a routine: every morning tonight, take the time to cleanse and moisturise. Wherever you are.
- Keep up the moisture: changing temperatures dramatically, or sitting on a plane for long periods of time, WILL dry out your skin. Keep it nourished.