8 Reasons to Go Vegan
An increasing number of people are turning vegan for myriad reasons - be it ethical, health-related or simply because they recognise the positive impact a nutrient-rich plant-based diet can have on their overall wellbeing.
Interested in going vegan, but still uncertain about making the change? Check out these key factors fuelling the vegan movement.
1. Nourishment for the body Pulses, whole grains and colourful veggies are naturally rich in fibre, vitamins and minerals but perhaps even more important is the fact that changing to a plant-fuelled lifestyle requires a certain level of consciousness. The choices you make become more considered, leading people to take more care over what they're consuming.
2. Good for the planet Environmental experts believe that cutting out meat and dairy consumption is the single biggest way we can reduce our environmental footprint. Why? Not only do livestock occupy a huge amount of global farmland (around 83%), resulting in deforestation, wildlife extinction and water pollution, but animals also produce an enormous amount of greenhouse gas (which we all know is bad for the planet).
3. Psychological wellbeing Aside from feeling good about making yourself and the planet healthier, going vegan is thought to improve mental wellbeing. Not so surprising given the mind-body connection, but the real key is the fact that plant-based foods are packed with particular nutrients that boost brain health. Think magnesium, omega-3 fatty acids and complex carbohydrates. Anyone up for a mood-boosting-chia-powder smoothie?
4. Boost your skin health By eating a diet high in legumes, nuts, seeds and vegetables you're automatically consuming an array of skin-loving nutrients. However, there's more to it than that. A high-fibre plant-based diet is also good for gut health, leading to better elimination of toxins from the body, the ability to more readily absorb vitamins, minerals and antioxidants and reduced inflammation. The result? A clearer complexion and healthier-looking skin.
An understanding of the importance of skin health, teamed with a growing demand for natural, cruelty-free products, has given way to the rise of vegan beauty. Free from animal by-products, vegan beauty products use natural ingredients, typically less packaging and don't test on animals, so you can nourish and care for your skin without compromising animal welfare or the health of the planet.
5. Celebrity vegans are on the rise If saving the planet, protecting animals and boosting your health hasn't convinced you to go vegan, perhaps your favourite celebrity can! A plethora of famous faces have taken the vegan pledge. Rumoured celebrity vegans include Brad Pitt, Madonna, Miley Cyrus, Beyonce, Jay Z, Joaquin Phoenix, Ellen DeGeneres, Mike Tyson, Russell Brand, Natalie Portman, Gwyneth Paltrow, Liam Hemsworth, Casey Affleck, gosh, the list goes on!
6. Vegan-friendly bank balance Turning vegan might not only benefit your health but your bank balance too. Let's face it, meat and dairy are expensive whereas plant-based proteins, veggies and grains won't cost you much. Also, a vegan diet requires a little extra consideration which, while often resulting in more varied dinners, is likely to lead to less wastage and better bang for your buck (or should we say dinners for your dollars!).
7. It's never been so easy to go vegan Gone are the days of scouring supermarket shelves looking for dairy or meat-free options. Never have there been so many vegan-friendly and cruelty-free alternatives on the market, incorporating food, fashion, cosmetics, household products, hair care and skincare such as Synthesis Organics, which is proud to be Certified Vegan. What's more, going vegan gives rise to creativity, innovation and inspiration as you look for new interesting ways to find meat-free replacements, grow your knowledge and meet interesting people with similar views.
8. Supercharge positive vibes By adopting a vegan lifestyle you are addressing animal cruelty, questioning animal welfare and helping reduce our environmental footprint. For most people, the knowledge that you're contributing to a positive future brings inner happiness. There's no denying a sunny outlook is better for your health and a sure-fire way to inject positivity into all aspects of your life, making veganism a win-win for you and the planet. The option to go vegan is there. The choice is yours!