We recently attended an inspiring talk by Don Tolman, the whole food medicine man. He has spent over 40 years researching ancient and timeless principles for wellness. He is a passionate advocate of radiant health and wellbeing through simple, wholesome plant-based nutrition.
A 17-year global journey of discovery into the lives of ancient disease free cultures who were long-lived showed him unequivocally that nature provides all the answers for health and healing (and radiant skin).
He reminded us of 7 Ancient Principles of Life and Health that we could all take to heart to improve and maintain our wellbeing:
1. Fresh Air. Open the windows, invest in a ceiling fan which ionises the air as effectively if not more so than the most expensive ionisers on the market, and get out into the fresh air as often as possible. We are electrical beings and need to move and breathe in the fresh air. Dead air, recycled A/C air, stagnant air leads to loss of energy, brain fog and does not provide the conditions in which our body can heal. So he highly recommended at the very least not sleeping in A/C.
2. Water. Water contains all the nutritional components our body needs to function - without it we would perish. Drinking fresh, clean water in adequate quantities daily is essential. He also drew our attention to the fact that our body is 70% water and the earth is also 70% water... our body is a microcosm of the earth.. and the spiritual contemplations that flow on from that are vast...
3. Sunshine. As well as bringing us happiness and joy - without the condensed light of sunshine we become maliluminated. According to experiments carried out by photobiologist John Ott, who coined the term, full-spectrum lighting is so essential that he considers light to be part of the body's nutritional needs. Exposing the body to sunlight every day (outside of the hottest times of the day when you could be burnt) is an essential health tonic.
4. Walking Not on a treadmill! The flow of walking, over time and distance, responding to the environment whether that be a city street or a natural bush walk, involves the whole body in a way which is optimum for the many health benefits walking can deliver.
- Take an aromatic walk through the Australian Bush, even from your desk
- Roll Breath of Australia onto your palms, rub them together and then cup them over your nose while inhaling and exhaling 3 times with your eyes closed.
- Visualise yourself walking through the bush and connecting with the pure, healing vibrations of the trees and bushes as they embrace your senses
- Diffuse Breath of Australia Essential Oil blend into your home or office and fill the space with the reviving aromas of the Australian bush.
5. Wholefoods. The importance of whole -food nutrition is the basis of Don Tolman's teaching - advocating fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. He also looks at the doctrine of signatures - a fascinating subject exploring the way the shape and quality of different foods reflect the benefits they will have on the body. For example, a walnut-shaped like a human brain - is indeed powerfully beneficial brain food! He also advocates the principle of 'if you wouldn't eat it, don't put it on your skin' - we know he would love Synthesis Organics!
6. Non-Toxic Relationships. Moving on from people and places that don't support you to be your best and shine as your Ltrue potential - makes sense...
7. Sleep. Having enough good sleep is essential for health and wellbeing. He advocates 8 hours work, 8 hours play and quality time with friends, family, hobbies (make sure you engage something you feel really passionate about for at least 30-40 minutes a day) and 8 hours of quality sleep & breath in fresh air! Try misting your pillow with Light Haven Aura Renewing Mist, or Massaging your Body with Relax Body Oil, or diffusing Calm or Light Haven or Deep Peace Essential Oil through your space to enhance your sleep. Thank you Don!